Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 23:28:43 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: johnny: how to handle sessions?

Partial reply...

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 08:10:22PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 06:16 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> > I could imaging other approaches that connect file with its sessions
> > (by sha1 I guess). But using them Johnny would not support sessions
> > created from command line.
>
> May be this is a good thing, at least for the version we create during GSoC.

Johnny could not restore arbitrary .rec because .rec contains relative
paths and we do not know current dir at time of creation of .rec
file. I'd say we could assume that file is not moved and we could
subtract path to session file stored in .rec and real path to session
file but this does not work in case of --session=../name .

So possible maximum is to support our own well-formed session files
that could be connected with passwd file by sha1. Though it could be
useful to try to support more .rec files using heuristic described
above if applicable.

OTOH we could load options from session file and let user to correct
them. But it is not very useful while we could not read state from
.rec file and pass it to john.

Thanks!

--
Regards,