Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 23:22:41 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Aleksey's status report #14

I missed previous status report. Though there was the contest. I did
not get any progress with MJohn. Then I investigated some things about
contest and wrote writeup. I did not finish team writeup so it is on
todo list.

I and Frank switched back to Johnny because it is more important for
users now. We plan to get fully working basic functionality for core
john very soon.

I'll do day reports. I think I'll answer to weekly reports. Ok?

I started new branch in my repo - dev1.1 (because next release will be
1.1 as of there was already release numbered 1):
$ git clone http://github.com/AlekseyCherepanov/johnny.git -b dev1.1
or in existing repo:
$ git checkout dev1.1

Done

- progressbar fixed

Currently it works well. Though it shows overall progress on file, it
is a progress in cracks, i.e. 1 cracked, 9 left = 10%. Probably it would
be better for users to see percentage of their attack, i.e. 1 day
spent and 50% means that we should wait 1 day more. But it has its own
drawback and it seems to be harder to implement. Although we could
have 2 progressbar: for attack and for overall progress.

- settings work now, i.e. they are loaded on start-up

You could find settings in
~/.config/Openwall/Johnny, the GUI for John the Ripper.conf
So to remove them use
$ rm ~/.config/Openwall/Johnny,\ the\ GUI\ for\ John\ the\ Ripper.conf

- john auto search

If user did not specify path to john then at start up johnny searches
for it in PATH then checks predefined places (currently only
/usr/sbin/john like on Debian). The same check is done when user asks
johnny for default settings. In PATH johnny searches for 'john' (i.e.
not for 'john-gpu' or whatever). Johnny splits PATH in platform
dependent way: by colon while on windows systems separator for PATH is
semicolon. Johnny checks possible place to be a readable and
executable file. First found one is our john. After that johnny shows
a message box with text about path to john.

- clean gui up

I disabled all buttons intended for jumbo.

- other small clean-ups and fixes

- improved speed for password pulling after `john -show`

Now hash table is used so it works seamlessly. No lags for 10k file
with 5k cracked passwords. There are some things to improve more here
but other problems are in the way.

Priorities

- finish team write-up

- sessions

- hardcode formats list for core john

I think I could postpone real way of doing things because it is harder
and it is not very important.

- add --users, --groups, --shells, --salts to options page

- add --save-memory ?

I doubt it is useful because johnny eats memory itself. Though I do
not know enough about this options to predict all uses.

Problems

Working with code I found some old problems and understood some more.
They are quite important.

- I could not connect cracked password with original hash

I call `john -show` and read user and password then put password to
all rows where user is the same. It is wrong and only works when we do
not have two rows with the same user name.

I could not look into .pot because hashes there could be in other
form. Though for core john they could be the same, aren't they?
(Mangling hash's form right in johnny does not seem good.)

I could craft new input file where hash is in gecos field also (not
name). Then `john --show` give me original hash. But it needs
crafting, i.e. temporary file for new .pot. It seems long way. (Though
I do not see shorter way now.) Should I do it as a basic
functionality?

- my brother pointed me out that john understands different file
format, i.e. not only user:hash:others is right. It affects my file
info in the same format. I did not yet investigate this question. Is
it important problem now? Any hints?

Thanks!

--
Regards,