Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 22:21:09 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: mscash2: CPU and GPU formats disagree about canonical
 hash representation (and use different test vectors)

On 2012-08-02 22:08, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> I noticed this with the contest edition during CMIYC 2012, but skimming
> over the john-1.7.9-jumbo-6-fixes branch, I think the problem exists in
> all trees.
>
> The CPU format supports a variable iteration count (default being
> 10240), and always uses the iteration count as part of the canonical
> hash representation, like this:
>
> $DCC2$10240#test1#607bbe89611e37446e736f7856515bf8
>
> OTOH, mscash2-cuda and mscash2-opencl don't include the iteration count
> into the canonical hash representation, but IMO they should,even if they
> only support a hard coded iteration count of 10240, instead of this:
>
> $DCC2$eighteencharacters#fc5df74eca97afd7cd5abb0032496223

This (or a variation) has been mentioned before. I suggest that [new]
GPU formats re-use old proven CPU formats' valid(), prepare(), split()
and other such functions, as well as the test vectors, as-is. At least
until there's a reason not to. In this case I believe the CPU format
evolved in parallel with the GPU ones, and we did not have git so the
"templates" was ancient. Hopefully the same would not happen again.

magnum