Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:15:44 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Building linux-x86-64-clang fails

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 01:46:33PM +0400, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> Running
>
>    make clean linux-x86-64-clang
>
> on my 64bit Debian Stable fails on the following command:
>
>    clang -Wall -c -O2 -I/usr/include -msse2 -DHAVE_CRYPT -DHAVE_DL
> -funroll-loops compiler.c
>
> Running this command with an additional option -v gives an attached output.
[...]
> /tmp/cc-lYULGy.s:265: Error: symbol `.LBA14_c_execute_fast_' is already defined

Thank you for reporting the problem.  I am not able to reproduce it with
current bleeding-jumbo, building it on Ubuntu 12.04 with their clang
(right after "apt-get install clang").  The build has worked just fine
for me.

I guess this is a bug in some version of clang.  In compiler.c, we're
using the "Labels as Values" GNU C extension when __GNUC__ is defined.
clang supports this extension too, and it defines __GNUC__ too.
However, it is not too surprising that the support for this extension
might be broken in some versions since relatively few programs use it.

Alexander