Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:20:43 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Some more external mode definitions

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:42:39PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> I created a new predefined external mode variable "maxlen" (filled
> either from the --stdout[=LENGTH] value (default 125) or from the
> format's PLAINTEXT_LENGTH.
>
> I grepped all the conf files. I only found uses of "maxlength", not
> "maxlen".
>
> The new predefined variable is documented in doc/EXTERNAL.

I am not going to keep the name maxlen.  I was/am considering calling
it limit or maxlength (yes, same as what some existing external
modes use, so the declaration and assignment to that variable would need
to be dropped from them eventually).  Another possible name is
cipher_limit, and we could also have cipher_case and cipher_8bit
(Booleans corresponding to the FMT_* flags).

Alexander