Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 23:49:08 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Should john always warn if the same option is used
 more than once?

On 07/20/2012 11:34 PM, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> 2012/7/19 Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>:
>> Should john detect multiple uses of the same option (instead of silently
>> using the last value specified), and warn or even exit with an error code?
>> I guess there is no valid reason to use the same option multiple times.
>
> Silently using last value is not something that user expects. In my
> opinion john should exit.

It is not just about user expectation.
It also makes parsing command lines and/or .rec files harder.

I guess most jumbo specific options have this problem.
Who runs git blame or searches the history to find out who needs to fix
this?
I'm afraid the git repository will in most cases point to magnum ;)
... who just incorporated the patches other people created.

Frank