Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 20:49:55 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Should john always warn if the same option is used more than once?

I knew this "worked" for --config=, but it seems this "works" for other
options as well:

$ ./john --list=formats --list=rules
jumbo
single-extra
nt
wordlist
extra
single

$ ./john --list=rules --list=formats
des, bsdi, md5, bf, afs, lm, dynamic_n, bfegg, crc32, dmd5, dominosec, epi,
gost, hdaa, ipb2, keychain, krb4, krb5, lotus5, md4-gen, mediawiki, mscash,

For some options, such a check is implemented:

$ ./john --stdout --wordlist=john.bash_completion --wordlist
Invalid options combination or duplicate option: "--wordlist"

Should john detect multiple uses of the same option (instead of silently
using the last value specified), and warn or even exit with an error code?
I guess there is no valid reason to use the same option multiple times.

Frank