Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:48:39 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: My audit of cracker, format, loader.c

On 2012-07-15 22:49, jfoug@....net wrote:
> ---- magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Another is the LM prepare from bleeding, should be put into
>>> core.
>>
>> This is already true: LM_fmt.c in bleeding is now 100% pristine
>> core code.
>
> I know it is 100% core.  My point is the core code loses the validity
> checking that was in bleeding, which helped keep spurious fields[2]
> from being loaded.  The 2 calls to valid were put into prepare on
> purpose.  They are not in core, but should be.

Oh. I compared it to our old bleeding code and somehow deemed them
virtually the same. I do not really understand the problem though: What
happens (or not), and when?

Note that I am not putting any more work to the very soon released
contest tarball (in case a fix is needed), although nothing stops anyone
else from unpacking it, patch it and create a new one.

BTW: somehow you or your MUA keep putting me as cc on list mail (this
one for instance). For some odd reason this make my MUA want to address
replies to you only, and I risk to miss that.

magnum