Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:24:18 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: problem with disc space for shared files in MJohn

I heard that some users have about 40gb of wordlists individually.
Currently it would be a problem if MJohn would copy all files to the
server.

Problems are
1) exhausted disk space,
2) exhausted traffic limit,
3) just slow.

Hence the questions:
Alexander, could contest server have more space? Would not we exhaust
traffic limit?

Possible improvements:
- compress files (I expect wordlists to give good ratio),
- drop git and use something much easier that allows to download one
file instead of the full repository (I'll do that for other reasons
too: for instance staging of files to check checksums could be done
easier),
- allow attacks with just sha1 instead of the real files: user does not
upload files but shares sha1, so he could stop and restart this
attack on his own cores while other users could check they do not
run the same attacks, but for modification of attack users should ask
the owner (also it is useful because not all users want to share their
files),
- use other file hosting and/or distributed system for that (many
servers and/or torrent (though this needs our own tracker)).

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov