Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:00:03 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: prepare()

On 2012-07-13 08:51, Solar Designer wrote:
> 1. Parsing of /etc/master.passwd format files is broken in jumbo.  1.7.9
> release (and older releases) would extract GECOS, home directory, and
> shell out of /etc/master.passwd format files in typical cases, whereas
> jumbo would not.  (My patch preserves and enhances this functionality.)
>
> I understand that the way this was implemented was hackish and unclear
> (there was no comment), so no wonder it got dropped when someone else
> reworked the code.  (I've made it cleaner and added a comment now.)

In the bleeding branch, while merging other core changes, I have
re-enabled some features that was commented out or otherwise lost in
Jumbo. If this is not one of those things (I don't remember the
details), I'll keep it in mind when merging your core changes. This
merge will incorporate tons of head-scratching anyway and I will
definitely need it to be audited by you and Jim afterwards.

magnum