Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:51:48 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: prepare()

Jim, all -

Attached is a patch that shows how I am introducing prepare() into core
tree.  While working on this, I noticed a few issues with this stuff in
jumbo.  Here are two that I can recall:

1. Parsing of /etc/master.passwd format files is broken in jumbo.  1.7.9
release (and older releases) would extract GECOS, home directory, and
shell out of /etc/master.passwd format files in typical cases, whereas
jumbo would not.  (My patch preserves and enhances this functionality.)

I understand that the way this was implemented was hackish and unclear
(there was no comment), so no wonder it got dropped when someone else
reworked the code.  (I've made it cleaner and added a comment now.)

2. The first alt format loop in ldr_split_line() runs with the
ciphertext prepare()d for the currently detected format, but then passes
this ciphertext into alt formats' valid().  I think it should use those
formats' prepare() for that.  (My patch does.)

Alexander

View attachment "john-1.7.9.4-prepare-2.diff" of type "text/plain" (21952 bytes)