Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 13:46:17 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RACF format

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 03:06:06PM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > racf_fmt_plug.c needs a proper valid(), not just a check for $racf$.
>
> This problems exists in lot of my formats. I am secretly waiting for
> Frank to send the patches ;)

Don't wait.  Patch.

> Modern RACF versions can use long (14 - 100) passphrases. It would be
> great if someone could post some sample hashes.

I guess you might have better luck if you ask on john-users.  You may
also try asking here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/wgtp3/is_it_really_true_that_acf2racf_only_support_8/

When you add support for the newer hash types, I think they should be a
separate format - well, or we'd need Short/Long separation for the
benchmarks like we do for AFS, and then it'd be trickier to use bitslice
DES for the DES-based flavor.

Thanks,

Alexander