Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 12:01:28 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Aleksey's status report #12

On 07/10/2012 04:09 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 06:04:58PM +0400, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
>> The scripts are attached. They are small. Very soon I will fix most
>> todos.

I just looked more closely at your t.pl script.

If I understand that correctly, you want to copy all the files needed
for a particular attack into a subdirectory (named like the attack) in
the "store", which is a directory on the client side.

I'm afraid that's not really practical.
Users can have huge word list files like rockyou.txt,
facebook-names.txt, or even a collection of all words from a wikipedia dump.
If you always copy these files for every new attack (cracking a set of
hashes of a different fast and saltless format, or trying rules from
another [List.Rules:...] section, this will not only take time, the user
might also soon run out of disk space.

Another problem is your "short test run".
You should verify if the command line parameters really describe an
attack, before you do git add ..., git commit ..., git push ...
What is a short test run? For GPU formats, even processing the first
block of MAX_KEYS_PER_CRYPT candidate passwords can easily take several
minutes.

Also, what kind of wrapper parameters do you think you'll need?

Frank