Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:16:16 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Aleksey's status report #10

On 07/12/2012 12:53 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> The opposite problem: how to find the same files? In general before
> addition we should compare new file with all existing in the store. I
> think I will speed it up with index file (consisted of checksums) in
> the store (I will not push that file to avoid conflicts). Though there
> is a race condition: two users could add the same file in parallel. So
> we could get two equal files. But it does not really matter.

I am not a git expert, but:
Can't you define a pre-commit hook which either computes sha1sum of a
file, and commits the file under this name instead of the name given by
the user, then adds a line to your index file in a post-commit hook?
Can't possible conflicts be resolved automatically if you keep that
index file sorted?

But that would possibly require to rewrite attack descriptions in a
similar way, so that they use the checksum instead of the user-supplied
file name.
And when you checkout the files, they could be renamed to the
user-specified file name again.

Am I mising something? Can this work? Does it make sense at all? How
hard would it be to implement it in a way that works flawlessly?

Frank