Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 06:40:16 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Get hash number in cmp_all()

myrice -

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 11:36:07PM +0800, myrice wrote:
> Current my loaded hash on GPU have fixed size(4000).

Is this in some released version of your code?

Are you allocating space for loaded hashes per-salt or for all at once?
In the latter case, how does your code know which hashes to compare
against (for the current salt only)?

> I want to
> allocate actually hash size when we get hash number. However, the hash
> number in database is invisible to me. Here are 2 ways to get it.
>
> 1. Reallocate the memory when hash number exceeds the pre-defined
> size. Is it a good idea to add mem_realloc() to memory.c?

I am fine with that, but I don't see why you want to be allocating a
copy of the hashes on CPU when you need that copy on GPU.  Is this just
an intermediate step, before you transfer the hashes to GPU?

> 2. Remove "static" and declare database as extern variable in my format

What would you be removing "static" from, exactly?

I think it'd help if you refer to your current implementation more
specifically, so that we discuss these proposed changes while looking at
the actual code.

Thanks,

Alexander