Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 08:22:44 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: request for new dynamic subformats

Format's 35,36,37 are on hold, at this time (possibly the dynamic). There
may be some issues in the dynamic format I need to work out.

They 'do' work (for me), if you add the MGF_NOTSSE2Safe flag.

Note, I think they will work on a system, if built with SSE2, if SHA_PARA is
set (i.e. intrinsic SHA1).  For my 32 bit builds, it is not.

I think there are problems within dynamic, when MD5_PARA is set, but
SHA1_PARA (or MD4_PARA) is not.  I will dig in.  If this ends up being true,
then likely I will make changes in the format loader part of dynamic to
detect this situation, and simply 'force' add not-sse safe, if at run time I
detect this.  I am not sure why they pass self test vectors however.  In the
TS, they only crack 1 hash (the very first), on my build.  But in
SSE-not-safe, they catch them all.

However, on my box, speed drops from 6500k to 2500k, if I switch over to
oSSL (not-sse), so I really want to not have to do that.  I have not had
time to research this fully, and it may end up being a non-issue, where I
find something else amiss.   But I have a strong feeling that it is in some
of the string appending code not working properly, in the mixed para mode.

Jim.