Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 14:28:05 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Cracking GNOME Keyrings [the easy way]

Hi,

The attached trivial program cracks GNOME Keyrings at a rate of ~300
tries/second. I am not sure if the library calls used in it are
thread-safe. This program requires gnome-keyring-daemon to be running.
I am not sure if we can include something like this in even jumbo ;).
Hence I am thinking host it as a separate project on github. Thoughts?

Cracking GNOME Keyrings [the hard way] by implementing underlying
crypto is TODO.

One curious observation, do you find something weird with the following stats?

$ time ./gkcrack &> /dev/null # looping 1000 times

real	0m3.459s
user	0m0.054s
sys	0m0.281s

I was expecting user value to be high but it isn't. Is it due to
actual work being done in another process (gnome-keyring-daemon)?

--
Cheers,
Dhiru

View attachment "gkcrack.c" of type "text/x-csrc" (872 bytes)