Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 01:06:12 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: -atom make targets

On 2012-07-08 08:44, Solar Designer wrote:
> Overall, it does look like we need to add an -atom target (or several,
> maybe also for 64-bit and for non-Linux), with up to three changes:
>
> 1. BF_X2 disabled (on 32-bit only? or both?)
> 2. MD5_IMM disabled (and MD5_X2 as well, at least on 32-bit).
> 3. Uses of SSE2 patched to SSE ("SSE1") where possible.
>
> We'll need to check in x86-*.h files whatever gcc defines when tuning
> for Atom, and specify the corresponding gcc option in the -atom targets.
> This will also work for -native.  Oh, in fact maybe there's little need
> for -atom when we have -native, then.

IMHO we should work against having dozens of odd specialized targets
that J Random Luser knows nothing about. If possible, we should just
make the -native target do the right things (unless it already does).
But -native is only supported in Linux so for non-linux atom targets
(what would that be IRL? Windows?) I'm all for adding it.

magnum