Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 15:24:47 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: optimized mscash2-opencl

>From: Frank Dittrich [mailto:frank_dittrich@...mail.com]
>
>For the test suite, we also need to make sure the number of passwords in
>the (possibly format specific) pw.dic is higher than MAX_KEYS_PER_CRYPT
>(here: 262144), possibly even higher than 2*MAX_KEYS_PER_CRYPT.
>Otherwise we will miss several sorts of possible bugs.

Easy to do (by hand).  Simply cat pw.dic enough times into a 'new' file
(call it pw-large.dic), and on the line for this format use the new pw-large
instead of pw  Then it will work.

As a longer term item, TS will be looking at the -list=format-details, so if
this is an issue that needs to be addressed 'in general', then the TS
itself, can create a temp dictionary, large enough, and even possibly
spreading out the 'valid' passwords over the entire temp dictionary,
interspersed with 'random' words, and some overly long crap, at the
boundaries.  Also, there should be valid words at the boundaries  (element
0, 1, n-2 and n-1), to make sure the format finds 'valid' words there.

I will add this to my list of enhancements I would like to get into TS.

Jim.