Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 18:21:30 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-faddress-sanitizer'
 for clang-debug

With

$ clang -dumpversion
4.2.1

$ clang --version
clang version 2.9 (tags/RELEASE_29/final)
Target: i386-redhat-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix

I get a warning per .c file when building linux-x86-debug:
clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-faddress-sanitizer'

clang version 3.1 supports -faddress-sanitizer, clang version 2.9 doesn't.

clang 3.0 which also claims to be gcc 4.2.1 compatible also doesn't
support this flag (tested for linux-x86-64-clang-debug under Fedora 17).

Does anybody know how to adjust the Makefile to include
-faddress-sanitizer into the CFLAGS for the two clang-debug targets only
if the clang version is >= 3.1?
(I don't know what clang -dumpversion prints for that release.)

Frank