Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 08:07:16 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Make --list= a little bit more user friendly

Here is a patch I had for several days (but only committed to my local
branch prior to digging deeper into the dynamic formats).

I hope it enhances the usability of --list=.

In changes the description of --list=WHAT
from
  list capabilities, see doc/OPTIONS or --list=?
  list capabilities, see --list=? or doc/OPTIONS

This hopefully makes --list=? easier to notice.
(Jim didn't notice it and thought he'd have to reed doc/OPTIONS.
However, doc/OPTIONS doesn't describe all possible values.)

The second change will print the same list as --list=? if someone uses
an invalid value like --list=help or --list=WHAT.
If an invalid value was used, I'll use exit(1) instead of exit(0).
(Should I write to stderr in this case?)

To print the same list in several places, I moved the code into a
separate function.
That's why my patch will conflict with Jim's latest addition of
--list=format-methods in bleeding.
But the merge conflict should be easy to fix.

If we implement --list=help (more detailed than --list=?) later, then
any invalid value could result in printing the --list=help output
instead of the --list=? output.

Frank

View attachment "0001-Make-list-a-little-bit-more-user-friendly.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (3546 bytes)