Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 01:11:27 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: plans for 1.7.9-jumbo-7, new formats interface, 1.8

On 2012-07-03 01:49, magnum wrote:
> On 2012-07-03 01:08, Solar Designer wrote:
>> I think that it would be good for us to release a 1.7.9-jumbo-7 with
>> little more than bugfixes for issues found in -6, in 1-2 weeks from now.
>
> We have kept all the hazard stuff in bleeding-jumbo. I think Dhiru added
> one or two formats. Dhiru, are these safe for old versions of OpenSSL
> and so on?
>
>> Thus, I think that we either need to keep magnum-jumbo conservative for
>> now (as opposed to bleeding-jumbo) or start a new bugfix-only branch
>> relative to 1.7.9-jumbo-6.  magnum - I'll let you decide on this.
>
> We'll just use bleeding for the crazy stuff for now, and start a third
> branch only if/when needed. Dhiru, please confirm: From now on push to
> bleeding if you are unsure, or consult the lists.

I now created a new branch "1.7.9-jumbo-6-fixes" that is bugfix-only,
except for Dhiru's new formats (PKCS #12 and RAdmin v2.x). This branch
will lead to Jumbo-7 and end there. Anything committed there will be
merged to the other branches.

> However:
> - We could consider merging Jim's generic SHA-2 code that is now in
> bleeding. It's nice and clean and we've seen no problems with it. It
> would give a whole bunch of new formats to people stuck with OpenSSL 0.9.7.

This is committed to magnum-jumbo, but not to 1.7.9-jumbo-6-fixes. We
have too little time to ensure it works with OSX.

magnum