Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 03:08:10 +0400 From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com Subject: plans for 1.7.9-jumbo-7, new formats interface, 1.8 magnum, myrice, Jim, all - I think that it would be good for us to release a 1.7.9-jumbo-7 with little more than bugfixes for issues found in -6, in 1-2 weeks from now. I am unhappy about the way I've treated the issues in myrice's formats that we identified too late for -jumbo-6 (unless I would postpone it), although I don't regret doing it in this way (rather than postponing). I also feel responsible for that bug as it was me who suggested reducing BINARY_SIZE in the first place (and I share responsibility for not testing the code fully before we approached the -jumbo-6 release time). Thus, I think that we either need to keep magnum-jumbo conservative for now (as opposed to bleeding-jumbo) or start a new bugfix-only branch relative to 1.7.9-jumbo-6. magnum - I'll let you decide on this. Moving to new formats interface in a "main" tree (that most of us work on) is not planned until August (if not later). However, we will need to make such a move (maybe to some intermediate work-in-progress formats interface) in July for myrice's work on password generation on GPU specifically. I am hoping to find time to work with myrice on that. This is one of my priorities (which I got too many of, unfortunately). 1.8 won't be out until at least September. But we might have the formats interface of 1.8 finalized in August if we try really hard - mostly if I am able to dedicate enough time to this, as opposed to other tasks (most of them non-JtR). Please let me know what you think. Thanks, Alexander
Powered by blists - more mailing lists
Confused about mailing lists and their use? Read about mailing lists on Wikipedia and check out these guidelines on proper formatting of your messages.