Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 21:42:13 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: I think I got it

On 07/02/2012 09:23 PM, magnum wrote:
> On 2012-07-02 19:14, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> I think we really need to construct the input dictionary more carefully,
>> and we need to make sure the test cases contain passwords that are close
>> to the max. password length that the format claims to support.
>
> Yes, we discussed that off-list (sorry!) already. We have some GPU
> formats too that are currently not tested right up to their max lengths.

And o catch cases of overwritten buffers, we need to use extra long
passwords not just at random positions, but close to the start/end of
MAX_KEYS_PER_CRYPT buffers, for various (sensible) MAX_KEY_PER_CRYPT sizes.

For

$ ./john --list=build-info
Version: 1.7.9-jumbo-6+unstable
Build: linux-x86-clang
Arch: 32-bit LE
$JOHN is ./
Rec file version: REC3
CHARSET_MIN: 32 (0x20)
CHARSET_MAX: 126 (0x7e)
CHARSET_LENGTH: 8
Compiler version: 4.2.1 Compatible Clang Compiler
gcc version: 4.2.1
clang version: 2.9 (tags/RELEASE_29/final)

the distribution is:

$ ./john --list=format-all-details |grep "Max. keys"|sort|uniq -c|sort -nr
     51 Max. keys per crypt             	1
     42 Max. keys per crypt             	128
     13 Max. keys per crypt             	4
     10 Max. keys per crypt             	16