Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 18:24:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Significant items concerning the MS Windows (cygwin) build of john-1.7.9-jumbo-6

Robert, all -

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 02:46:40AM -0400, Robert B. Harris wrote:
> July 1, 2012 significant items concerning the MS Windows (cygwin) build of
> john-1.7.9-jumbo-6:

Thank you!

> -Building and running the mozilla2john.exe is no issue. (It does not build
> by default)
>

> -Building and running the office2john.exe is no issue. (It does not build by
> default)
>
> However it requires an additional 11 cygwin DLLs to be copied into the run
> directory.
>
> The addtional DLLs are the following:

I guess you also needed to install more components of Cygwin for this to
work?  Or did you make a "full" install of it right away?  IIRC, they
exclude a lot of stuff by default.

> -The self test for Django PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-256 hangs in the OMP buid.  It
> works fine in the non-OMP build.

This did not happen for me.  (And I did test would-be -jumbo-6 on Win32,
including an OpenMP build, before releasing.)

The hang sounds like the known Cygwin bug that I worked around last
year by binary-patching cygwin1.dll.

Can you try again with the binary-patched cygwin1.dll as included in
john179j5w.zip?

> form=des                          guesses:   26 time: 0:00:00:01 : Expected
> count(s) (1500)  [!!!FAILED!!!]
>
> .pot CHK:des                      guesses: 1500 time: 0:00:00:00  [PASSED]
>

> form=netlmv2                      guesses:  926 time: 0:00:00:01 : Expected
> count(s) (1500)  [!!!FAILED!!!]
>
> .pot CHK:netlmv2                  guesses: 1500 time: 0:00:00:01  [PASSED]

This is puzzling, especially "des".  Non-OpenMP build, right?

Is this reproducible?  With the exact same guess counts?

Can you see if the issue is new with j6 or if we had it in j5 as well?
For "des", if we had it in 1.7.9 proper as well?

> - Testing:  John the Ripper password cracker, ver: 1.7.9-jumbo-6_omp
> [win32-cygwin-x86-sse2i]
> HANGS
>
> HANGS

Sounds like the known Cygwin bug again.  (Indeed, we never reported it
upstream, and it was never fixed there.)

Thanks again,

Alexander