Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 23:44:11 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SHA2 added to bleeding

On 2012-06-30 22:48, jfoug@....net wrote:
> ---- jfoug <jfoug@....net> wrote:
>> I have added sha2.c and sha2.h and modified a lot of formats, to remove the
>> oSSL version dependency for SHA224/256/384/512 from JtR.
>>

> Here are some quick and dirty 'speed' tests:
>

> Speed tests for new JtR sha2.c code (generic vs oSSL)
> All tests on: AMD Atholon64-3400 dual core, non OMP build.

...and as implemented, this will only kick in if your OpenSSL version
does not support SHA-2 at all, so *any* speed is good speed. So
obviously I think this is very good stuff.

Simon, or Tavis, don't you feel a sudden urge to implement damn good
SHA-2 intrinsics into JtR? Actually, we can make this a contest: Which
one of you will be first? And which one of you will be best? Maybe we
can manage to offer some kind of prices for each of those sub-tasks :-)

magnum