Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 17:35:01 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: "Hide" more options

The usage blob is very long. I propose that the following options are
moved to "hidden" because they are either for expert use or for very
rare cases:

--config=FILE             use FILE instead of john.conf or john.ini
--make-charset=FILE       make a charset file. It will be overwritten
--mem-file-size=SIZE      size threshold for wordlist preload (default 5 MB)
--crack-status            emit a status line whenever a password is cracked
--max-run-time=N          gracefully exit after this many seconds
--regen-lost-salts=N      regenerate lost salts (see doc/OPTIONS)
--plugin=NAME[,..]        load this (these) dynamic plugin(s)

The --make-charset is arguable because it's a core option.

Note that "hidden" options are not really hidden anymore, but instead of
shown in the main usage blob, they are listed with --list=hidden-options.

We could also (or instead) move the format list closer to bottom as that
is (IMHO) what you most often look at.

magnum