Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 21:35:49 -0400
From: cc <cc@...heads.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Apple's gdb wrapper

Disclaimer,  I don't know anything about apple - but that gdb can analyze
cores and connect to a gdbserver for remote debugging, run doesn't work
when gdb is cross debugging.

You either need a ppc gdb or a ppc gdbserver which can run the binary and
then you can use that gdb to connect to gdbserver on localhost.
On Jun 28, 2012 3:33 PM, "Solar Designer" <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone in here happen to know whether/how to use Apple's gdb build
> and wrapper on Mac OS X to debug a PPC program on an Intel Mac?
>
> Their /usr/bin/gdb is actually a shell script that supports "--arch ppc",
> but maybe that's just for analysis of coredumps or for some other
> limited functionality.  Trying to use it, I get:
>
> $ gdb --arch ppc
> GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-768) (Tue Oct  2 04:14:42 UTC
> 2007)
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "--host=i386-apple-darwin
> --target=powerpc-apple-darwin".
> (gdb) target exec ../run/john
> Reading symbols for shared libraries ...... done
> (gdb) r -te=0
> Starting program: /Users/user/john/magnum-jumbo/run/john -te=0
> Don't know how to run.  Try "help target".
>
> Notice that "--arch ppc" appears to have worked, since this prints
> "--host=i386-apple-darwin --target=powerpc-apple-darwin".
>
> I haven't tried Googling this yet.
>
> Alexander

Content of type "text/html" skipped