Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 01:07:15 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Shouldn't the TS work with a pw.dic in reversed order
 as well?

On 2012-06-29 00:59, magnum wrote:
> On 2012-06-29 00:40, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> On 06/29/2012 12:28 AM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>>> Will repeat the test after make clean..., and with other .dic files
>>> reversed as well.
>>
>> This didn't produce any errors so far for linux-x86-sse2.
>> Unfortunately, I deleted the old binary and closed that terminal.
>>
>> Now I have to repeat the test with all the build targets (OMP/non-OMP)
>> on my slow 32bit netbook.
>
> I do see problems on 64-bit after reversing *.dic files. It's so many, I
> suspect it's a red herring and something else is amiss:

Yeah it's a red herring allright. The slow formats do (equivalent of) a
"head -200 pw.dic >pw-200.dic" at runtime. After reversing pw.dic and
doing that, the wordlist does not contain the passwords for the input files.

You could alter jtrts.pl so it does a "tail" instead and see what happens.

magnum