Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 17:40:31 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: raw-sha2 CUDA fails IRL (it seems)

Does jumbo guarantee a short word (following PLAINTEXT_LENGTH) in all cases?  I know I argued for this, but was not sure it ever made it.

Are we sure it is working at all?   I think the times when it was still problematic was after extern and after rules.  I thought we had put it into the in-memory dictionary loader (and line reader), but that was as far as it got.   If JtR IS assuring proper PW truncation, then by all means ignore my lack of memory on this one.

>From: magnum [mailto:john.magnum@...hmail.com]
>
>On 2012-06-29 00:20, jfoug wrote:
>> NOTE, the ts's pw.dic file will SMASH formats that do not protect
>> themselves from buffer overruns.
>
>You keep saying that and I keep arguing that Jumbo (as opposed to core
>John) truncates to PLAINTEXT_LENGTH before serving candidates to
>set_key() - so very fast formats should not waste time on length checks.
>Having said that, obviously if you announce a larger PLAINTEXT_LENGTH
>than you can actually handle, you will be run over.
>
>Also, it *will* smash get_salt() if it's not protected.

That could be it also.  The input files will do that at times.  If there are input files which have long salts, LONGER than ITW hashes would have, and it is smashing formats, then shout it out, and I will get those input files fixed, with proper sized salts in there.

Jim.