Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 08:02:20 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: keepass2john.c

Dhiru -

There's some licensing weirdness with keepass2john.c currently in
magnum-jumbo.  As far as I can tell, you used code from two projects:
KeeCracker and kppy.

KeeCracker includes a copy of GPLv2, but maybe that applies to a DLL
that it uses only rather than to KeeCracker itself.  It is unclear what
license KeeCracker itself is under.  Also, it is unclear if the GPL
is "GPLv2 only" or "GPLv2 or later".

kppy is under GPLv3.

keepass2john.c currently says it is under "GPLv3 or later", but on one
hand this might not be compatible with KeeCracker's licensing and on the
other I am unhappy about that (I'd prefer BSD, etc. or "GPLv2 or later").

Maybe we need to inquire with the authors of these programs and ask them
to relax the licensing to either our preferred terms/wording or, failing
that, to "GPLv2 or later".

The process_old_database() and process_database() functions should be
made static.

Instead of main(), you could have a keepass2john() function that you'd
call from john.c.

For now, though, this is just an unused source file, right?  Maybe I
should exclude it from 1.7.9-jumbo-6?

Thanks,

Alexander