Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:17:47 -0300
From: Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenCL kernel max running time vs. "ASIC hang"

Em 25-06-2012 22:06, Bit Weasil escreveu:

> AMD doesn't document anything interesting, nor do they bother
> responding to bugs.  atom of hashcat, gat3way of hashkill, and myself
> have all spent long hours arguing with their OpenCL implementation vs
> the spec.  For a long while, they were somewhere between glitchy and
> flat out wrong, and they do not seem to care.  So work around it in
> any way you wish. :)  I just assume that bugs in their drivers may be
> fixed at some point, and then will probably be unfixed in a later
> version.  They're really bad with them.
>
> My solution is short kernel runtimes.  If you find anything better,
> let me know!

Hi, seems everybody has this "special fellings" on AMD software.

I did experiments using "some" (2, 3, 5, ... invocations). And i really
liked the results: better performance AND better interactivity, but i
found my solution just silly. And i disliked my idea to improve
find_best_workgroup() and find_best_KPC() JtR functions.

I will try your approach to handle it in a proper way.

Thanks for sharing!