Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 03:54:40 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Bal??zs Bucsay <earthquake@...on.hu>
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: GI John (was: MySQL-fast fixes, OpenMP support)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 09:29:26PM +0200, Bal??zs Bucsay wrote:
> Btw, I think you know, I wrote the GI John patch for the john for
> distributed cracking. Don't you want to merge that codebase into the
> john-jumbo too? It could be a good alternative for distributed cracking.

It is listed at
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/parallelization#Table-of-existing-works
but I see little reason to integrate it.  Doesn't it depend on your
unreleased web frontend software?  Then, even if you release that, we
can't reasonably have all sorts of distributed processing hacks
integrated into the same tree at once, and I don't see GI John as being
superior to the many other hacks.  I think it's limited to doing dumb
exhaustive searches, right?  That said, please feel free to contribute
it as a patch against magnum-jumbo and _maybe_ it'll get in, although I
won't work on that personally (it'll be up to magnum to decide).
There's already lots of stuff in the tree that I find questionable. ;-)

Thanks,

Alexander