Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:32:25 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Several enhancements for relbench

On 06/23/2012 09:07 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> Frank -
>
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 07:17:50PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> If a particular benchmark appears several times in the same file,
>> print a message to STDERR,
>
> OK.
>
>> and pick the higher values for
>> comparision (higher real value is considered here, only if the
>> real values are the same, the higher virtual value is considered).
>
> I think it's better to include ALGORITHM_NAME into the names being
> compared (for both formats) when an otherwise-matching format name is
> detected.  Only if that still leaves matching format names, print a
> second warning and do something else (like what you implemented).

I am not sure I understand what you mean.
This change was intended to solve the following problem:

File1 contains:

Benchmarking: Raw MD5 [32/32]... DONE
Raw:	1489K c/s real, 1489K c/s virtual

File2 contains

Benchmarking: Raw MD5 [SSE2i 12x]... DONE
Raw:	5702K c/s real, 5702K c/s virtual

Benchmarking: Raw MD5 [SSE2i 10x4x3]... DONE
Raw:	5122K c/s real, 5122K c/s virtual

The current relbench version would compare the benchmark of File1 with
the second benchmark in File2 where the format name matches the one in
File1.
I thought it would be more fair to use the fastest of multiple
benchmarks in File2.
So I think this change is an improvement over what we currently have.

What scenario do you have in mind?
Should I always include the algorithm name when trying to find a match
between File1 and File2, and only if that doesn't work, try matching
format names only, and in that case pick the fastest of multiple
benchmarks in each File?

Frank