Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:36:48 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] Makefile: adding two more linux-x86 targets

On 06/22/2012 08:25 AM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 06/22/2012 08:04 AM, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
>> What do you guys think about adding two more targets linux-x86 targets
>> (patch attached)? linux-x86-clang-debug is super good for debugging.
>> Just helped me fix a nasty bug in EPiServer format.
>
> Also, isn't clang able to build 64 bit targets?
> If it is, these make targets should be added as well.

I shouldn't answer before I had my first coffee,
The linux-x86-64-clang target exists, just not the
linux-x86-64-clang-debug target.

Another thought:

Leave the -debug target in, but don't advertize it, e.g., comment out
the @echo "linux-x86-clang-debug ... line.

We don't want to make it easier for users to create builds that perform
poorly.
May be we can even add other debug build targets without listing them.

Frank

PS: I hope this idea is better, even though I still didn't have my coffee.