Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:22:12 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.9-jumbo-6

On 2012-06-21 10:36, magnum wrote:
> On 2012-06-21 05:53, Solar Designer wrote:
>> magnum - it'd be nice if you revise CHANGES-jumbo to refer to the added
>> formats by their new/actual names.
>
> OK. I will do some grepping too in case we missed somewhere else.

I think I fixed all of them.

>> Also, one important change to make before we release is to have wordlist
>> dupe suppression disabled by default, as discussed. Can we get this in
>> within a day (so that it's included in the pre-release testing), please?
>
> I'll try to get the time. I'll do just the command switch for now.

Committed. Now we have this:

--wordlist[=FILE] without a FILE will use the wordlist configured in
john.conf (same as for batch-mode)

--loopback[=FILE] is a new option for using a .pot file as a wordlist.
This will imply --dupe-suppress. If FILE is not given, the active pot
file is used.

--dupe-suppression is a new option switch that turns full dupe checking
(and buffering) on, regardless of size.

I had to drop options flags for a couple old options that could do fine
without them. Now we are completely out of options flags unless we go
64-bit.

Frank, could you tweak bash_completion for this please? BTW I also added
a hidden option --length=N, force a lower max. length (mostly for
debugging but this can be useful in other cases too).

magnum