Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:42:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: wordlist dupe suppression

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:28:53PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 08:12 PM, jfoug wrote:
> > I really dislike the worddupe code, being default.  Yes, I can see certain
> > benefit from it, but making it default, .....
>
> I also think this should be configurable.
> But what happens if you start wordlist mode for a large word list and
> dupes recognition switched on, then interrupt, switch dupes recognition
> on and restore the session?
> Probably you'll miss some words.

In fact, doesn't the same problem apply to sessions started with
1.7.9-jumbo-5 (or older) and continued with magnum-jumbo or the next
jumbo release (if we keep this functionality in and enabled by default)?
If so, that's really nasty and a reason for us to reconsider.

The dupe suppression on/off flag should be getting into .rec files
somehow, such as due to it being a non-default command-line option
(we don't have this currently, but we can add it).

Alexander