Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:38:41 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: notes on sharding the incremental search space

On 2012-06-14 16:32, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 06/14/2012 04:25 PM, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Tavis Ormandy<taviso@...xchg8b.com>  wrote:
>>> p.s. I also have a sha-1 implementation that's a little faster than the
>>> jumbo version, would this be the right list to send that to? Is there a
>>> jumbo cvs repo I can checkout to patch against?
>>
>> Jumbo code is developed on github. Check
>> https://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo. You can clone, modify
>> sources and then send a pull request to magnum.
>>

> Probably the latest git version is considerably faster than the last
> jumbo version.

I was going to say "not much" but I just checked raw-sha1 and apparently
it's 33% faster. I'm not sure how that happened, from memory the code
changes only boosted it by like 10-12% (and this CPU does not support
XOP or other stuff that Solar added optimisations for).

$ ./john-jumbo5 -t -form=raw-sha1 -conf=legacy.conf
Benchmarking: Raw SHA-1 [SSE2i 8x]... DONE
Raw:	8416K c/s real, 8416K c/s virtual

$ ./john-magnum -t -form=raw-sha1
Benchmarking: Raw SHA-1 [SSE2i 8x]... DONE
Raw:	11110K c/s real, 11184K c/s virtual

magnum