Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 07:53:31 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPU options

On 06/11/2012 01:44 AM, magnum wrote:
> On 2012-05-29 01:48, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> On 05/29/2012 01:26 AM, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
>>> If we will drop platform option as I stated previously, we could use
>>> --device=LIST for both cuda and opencl. For opencl it could print also
>>> platform information.
>>
>> Mixed OpenCL and CUDA output might be OK to read, but harder to parse
>> automatically.
>> What about dropping --device=LIST, and add
>> --list=[cuda|CUDA|opencl|OpenCL] now that we have this --list option?
>
> All --list options ignore case so --list=cUdA will work too.
>
> I just did this:
>
> * drop support for --device=list and --platform=list (no mercy)

Has there been any released jumbo version supporting those?
I guess not.
In that case, I can reduce functionality in john.bash_completion.
Just complete the option names (if supported), but don't try completing
--device=l to --device=list.
(Otherwise I would need to decide about this completion depending on
whether --list=cuda-devices or --list=opencl-devices exists.)

> * deprecate --encoding=LIST (but this it's still supported)
> * add support for --list=opencl-devices
> * add support (currently commented out) for future --list=cuda-devices

The output is still exactly the same as it was for --devide=list?

> * add support for --list=encodings
>
> The bash completion just adopted, as-is. I really like that.

I guess I should remove LIST as a possible completion for --encoding= if
--list=encodings is supported.

And if the john version knows --platform=, Ill use LIST as a possible
completion.
This needs to be fixed as well.

Frank