Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 21:14:13 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: bash completion: more relaxed upper/lower case handling

Hi magnum,

the attached patch improves the bash completion logic.
(BTW: does it matter to you if I always use the same file name for bash
completion patches?)

The most important change is probably this one:

Format names are always converted to lower case, even if the usage
output uses upper / mixed case.

User input for format names is also converted to lower case,

So,
$ ./john --format=D[tab]
becomes
$ ./john --format=d

$ ./john --format=DE[tab]
becomes
$ ./john --format=des

In a few other places, =List or =Left can be specified in mixed case,
completion will convert this to =LIST or =LEFT (matching the form that
can be found in the usage output.)

since currently there is no other option name starting with --d, I allow
-d=, -de:, --d:, and so on to be expanded like -dev: or --device=

Frank

View attachment "john.bash_completion.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (3312 bytes)