Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 14:15:17 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Problem with --show

On 06/01/2012 01:37 PM, magnum wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 05:05 PM, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
>> It's just not consistent for john to say that something is cracked
>> without --show but not with it. IMHO john should either always accept
>> them or always reject them.
>
> Good point. I'm not sure why this happens. I think this behavior is
> dictated by the respective format's prepare(), valid() and split() so
> it's not something a core change would fix.
>
> I know I and JimF have identified and discussed the need for being
> promiscuos when reading john.pot (eg. accept bare hashes or deprecated
> tags), and strict when writing to it. This is something we could add to
> the Test Suite.

But with ambiguous hashes, there is a risk of wrongly reporting cracked
hashes, it the format of the cracked hash in john.pot differs from the
format you are currently trying to crack.
(I admit that usually the risk will be relatively low.)

Another option would be to add an option to verify/convert pot files.

Frank