Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 22:22:20 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Add john.local.conf to release-Jumbo

I was thinking we might want to do one of these:

Add an .include <john.local.conf> to the end of john.conf, and have the
Makefile create an empty such file if it does not exist. Personally, I'd
then add all my personal stuff in john.local.conf and the john.conf
would be much easier to "sync" with the release version.

Or alternatively:
Add the same line to john.conf but also add a cludge in config.c so we
never complain if that file does not exist.

Or, perhaps:
Do not even add that line to john.conf, but always source any
john.local.conf file, if we found one.

What do you think? Actually we could push it a little further but this
might be confusing: we could make sure that if any option is specified
in john.local.conf AND john.conf, the local takes precedence. Is that
what would happen if we put an .include in line 1 of john.conf? This
way, as long as you do all your changes in john.local.conf, you can just
copy the newest john.conf over your old one.

magnum