Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 01:40:42 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPU options

On 05/29/2012 01:18 AM, magnum wrote:
> On 05/29/2012 12:58 AM, Lukas Odzioba wrote:

>>> I just mimiced existing options, like --subformat=LIST. But hey, you
>>> have a point: If/when we are going to support multiple devices it could
>>> be given as eg. --device=0,1.
>>
>> This looks natural, I like it.
>
> Yes... but I now realize it wont suffice. In most cases you'd run a
> couple of same-model GPU's and they would probably be platform 0,
> devices 0 and 1. But on Bull, the Nvidia is platform 0, device 0 and the
> 7970 is platform 1, device 0. That would mean --platform=0,1 and
> --device=0 and it starts to get vague... and on some system we might
> want to run (platform,device) 0,1 and 1,0. I'm not sure how to
> accommodate that. Ideally we should come up with a better syntax for all
> of this before the Jumbo release.

What about dropping --platform, and using just --device?
--device=0:0,1 (devices 0 and 1 of OpenCL platform 0)
--device=1 (all devices of OpenCL platform 1? or all devices with ID 1
on all OpenCL platforms? Or CUDA device with ID 1?)
--device=0:0/1:0 (device 0 of OpenCL platform 0 and device 0 of OpenCL
platform 1)
--device=0:0-2 (devices 0, 1, 2 of OpenCL platform 0)

--device=LIST (List all platforms/devices)

Then we would need to point to the documentation from the usage output.

--device=[P:D|???|LIST] (set/list GPU platforms/devices, see doc/???)

Frank