Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 21:42:18 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: memory usage within JtR and possible ways to significantly
 reduce it.

On 05/27/2012 05:06 PM, jfoug wrote:
> I have this change done, and it has been patched into magnum-jumbo, and
> bleeding edge (I think bleeding edge).

I just committed to bleeding-jumbo too, after Jim helped me resolve a
conflict in cracker.c

> I only have it implemented for NT and dynamic_0 at this time.  I am believe
> there will be some issues I have to address, before I can attempt a salted
> hash.

I replicated the prepare() changes in NT to NT2 but I did not yet write
a get_source() for it. That one will not be the same as in NT_fmt as NT2
is not unrolling things.

So, this is just the reverse of get_binary. So for example, a SHA-1
get_source() would endian shift the input (if SSE2) and write it in hex
to Buf, possibly including tags and stuff. And that's it, right?

We need to add self tests for this, I believe that is not in place yet.
A hidden bug here would produce incorrect john.pot entries.

magnum