Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 23:22:38 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Brad Tilley <brad@...ystems.com>
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Brute Force TrueCrypt Headers

Brad -

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 03:11:37PM -0400, Brad Tilley wrote:
> Mine does about 50 passwords a second, but it's not optimized to crack
> passwords. I have a bit in the FAQ about that: http://16s.us/TCHead/faq/
>
> A multi-threaded or multi-process attack should do more than that.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Shortly after I sent the message, it occurred to me that TrueCrack's 15
p/s might be for just one thread, too.

The screenshot you have at http://16s.us/TCHead/ shows Serpent and
Whirlpool instead of RIPEMD-160 and AES, which are apparently the
default.  Is this just to show that TCHead supports non-default settings
as well?  Is the 50 p/s speed for RIPEMD-160 and AES (thus directly
comparable to TrueCrack's)?

Alexander