Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 03:16:44 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: bash auto-completion for john

Frank -

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 09:34:02PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> Grepping through the src and doc directories, I think I know how this
> could work.
> I can test if john supports --platform=LIST, if yes, add --platform= to
> the possible completions for options, and the reported list for
> completion of possible values.
>
> Similar, for --device=LIST, check whether the option is supported, and
> use the listed values as possible completions.

I think that you should not actually invoke =LIST to determine possible
completions because they're almost always single-digit anyway and
because the list might not appear instantly.

$ time ./john -pla=list &> /dev/null

real    0m1.511s
user    0m0.124s
sys     0m0.964s

Having a 1.5-second delay after pressing TAB would be nasty.

Alexander