Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 14:59:42 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: file synchronization backend for MJohn

On 05/21/2012 01:53 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> Though if it will be
> worth we could add to john an ability to pull in newly cracked
> passwords without restart. Will it be worth?

I don't think we should do this.
Whether it really helps depends on a number of circumstances.
I'd only try to take care of password hashes cracked by other clients
for long running sessions (e.g. incremental mode) with slow hashes and
nearly every hash having a different salt.
In these cases, it is also possible to interrupt and restart such a
session manually.
If you think you know for sure that it's worth restarting a session
after a lot of new password hashes have been cracked, you could also
trigger a restart from the server.
But I would even postpone implementation of this approach until later,
for various reasons:
-there are still more important problems to solve
-there might still be bugs where GPU implementations don't save the
current state when being interrupted, and I don't know if kill -s 1
prior to interrupting the session helps

Frank