Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 23:13:20 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: external mode variables

Hi Alexander,

On 05/17/2012 06:54 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 09:11:10AM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> (BTW: is there any documentation which john variables can be accessed
>> from external mode?)
>
> doc/EXTERNAL in 1.7.9 says this:
>
> ---
> 	Pre-defined variables.
>
> Besides the "word" variable documented above, John the Ripper 1.7.9 and
> newer pre-defines two additional variables: "abort" and "status",
[...]

this is so embarrassing. I should have grepped the files in the doc
directory before asking.

I always admire how patient you are with john users who ask questions
which can easily be answered just by RTFM.

Be assured that I did read the documentation.
But may be I should repeat the exercise from time to time, to refresh
what I might have forgotten and to learn what's new.

I was so surprised by seeing the two new external modes using variables
I never saw in the other external modes that I just couldn't help asking
because I was afraid I might have missed other variables that could have
been helpful in my own external modes.

> both
> of type "int".  When set to 1 by an external mode, these cause the
> current cracking session to be aborted or the status line to be
> displayed (just like on a keypress), respectively.  These actions are
> taken after having tested at least all of the candidate passwords that
> were in external mode's "word" so far.  In other words, the actions may
> be delayed in order to process any buffered candidate passwords.

There's really no question left unanswered in the documentation which
already exists. Thanks.

Frank