Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 17:52:50 +0800
From: myrice <qqlddg@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Myrice: Weekly Report #5

Solar, Samuele -

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> What has happened to your plans to implement storage of loaded
> hashes and/or salts on the GPU end, though?  And to support occasional
> long passwords while not hurting performance for short passwords?
> Also, you wanted to comment on "Password Generation on GPU", but I think
> you never did (I exchanged a few messages with Frank, and that's all).
> I understand that you can't work on too many sub-tasks at once; I am
> merely asking, recalling that this stuff was previously among your
> Priorities, and seeing that now it just disappeared.

Loaded hashes+salts:
I remember from my previous post, I said the performance does not
improve a lot. I forgot to post my experiment. I will make another
post now.
Long password: Oh, I forgot to add to the priority list. I am
currently working on that.
Password Generation on GPU: I want to put it after I implement SHA512
format. Now SHA512 format only reach 22M c/s. When I comment out
set_key and password transfer from CPU to GPU, the performance reach
to 35M c/s. Though this test is not that accurate, there is a space
for improvement. I hopefully start this the next week.

>> I am stuck at my xsha512-opencl on 7970. It seems that bitwise
>> operation is strange on 64bit variable. This slows my progress,
>
> That's nasty.  Do you have access to any other ATI/AMD GPU (no older
> than 4xxx series)?  If not, would providing you with remote access to
> one be of help (to see if the issue is with code generation for 7970
> specifically or with AMD APP SDK or driver in general)?  Oh, I recall
> that Samuele reported that your code failed on his 6970 as well, right?

6970 seems not lost high 32bit from Samuele's experiment. I just asked
Samuele to test. It failed on both CPU and GPU.

Thanks
myrice