Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 09:11:10 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: bash auto-completion for john

On 05/16/2012 01:04 AM, magnum wrote:
> With the bits you get from --list=build-info, it's probably not that
> hard to grep the actual config file for rules and modes (or did you try
> that already?). These versions do not have the .include directive so if
> you do that, you are set.

As you already noticed in your other reply, --list=build-info isn't
available in this case, otherwise even config files with include
directive wouldn't be a problem.
Grepping config files if --list=build-info is not available is not what
I'd like to do, because searching for the correct config file also
causes effort.
(For a system-wide build, I'd have to look into ~/-john first, then into
the system-wide home, wherever that is. Without --list=build-info, I'd
have to use something like strings john| grep, and guess what might be
the right string.

But john provides the version info in the first line of output when
called without parameters:

$ john |head -n 1
John the Ripper password cracker, version 1.7.8

Or even some kind of build info:

$ ./john |head -n 1
John the Ripper password cracker, ver: 1.7.9-jumbo-5+unstable
[linux-x86-sse2i]

So I could extract the version string (up to the first space or '-'),
and provide hard coded lists depending on the version
-1.7.9 (introduced AutoAbort and AutoStatus
(BTW: is there any documentation which john variables can be accessed
from external mode?)
-1.7.8 introduced AppendLuhn
-1.7.7 introduced DateTime Repeats Subsets AtLeast1-Simple
AtLeast1-Generic Policy
-1.7.3 introduced DumbForce and KnownForce

1.7.3 was in July, 2008. Going back even more doesn't make much sense.

All other external modes have been introduced in a 1.6 or earlier
version (2005 or earlier).

I can't even build 1.6.40 anymore on my current system.
generic, linux-x86-any and linux-x86-mmx all failed with
bench.c: In function ‘benchmark_format’:
bench.c:130:38: error: ‘CLK_TCK’ undeclared (first use in this function)

Frank